About Lisa Zahner:
As a Leading Commercial Real Estate Agent in San Francisco, Lisa focuses on the sale of Multi- Family, Mixed-use and Investment properties. She has gained the trust and admiration of her clients, exceeding expectations, and delivering impressive results. As a Landlord and property owner herself, Lisa’s approach to assisting her Clients in buying and selling investment property is thoughtful and strategic, with an eye on the bottom line and helping her clients achieve their financial investment goals.
With over 20 years combined experience in Commercial Real Estate, Local Businesses and Government, and a background in Community Development, Lisa is well-versed in zoning and permits and stays up to date on new developments and changes in city planning, which enable her clients to capitalize on changes and opportunities. She is an active member of Commercial Real Estate Women, and the San Francisco Apartment Association, and a Board Member of the Bay Housing Action Coalition.
Why Invest in Multi-Family / Commercial Real Estate?
Investing in multi-family and commercial real estate is a great way to diversify your investment portfolio, enjoy passive income, and take advantage of favorable tax structures. As the income generated by the property increases, so too does the property value. Here are the top 5 reasons to invest in multi-family property:
1. Strong Demand: San Francisco is always an attractive destination for new residents – even post-pandemic. According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, renting represents the most common form of housing for the millennial generation, the largest generation in U.S. history. Millennials also tend to value mobility and flexibility over the benefits of owning property, and for this reason they are more likely than previous generations to prefer renting.
2. Cash Flow & Passive Income. Landlords enjoy predictable income in strong markets, and and typically, increased income year over year as tenants turn over. It’s easy to hire a property manager to take over the day-to-day operations of a rental property, allowing owners to enjoy passive income without worrying about what day the trash is collected.
3. Long Term Valuation Potential. Multifamily and commercial property is a long-term investment. Typically, multifamily real estate appreciates over time and are more resilient to economic downturns. Of course, real estate values fluctuate year to year, but over the course of several real estate cycles, property values tend to continue upward.
4. Lower Risk. Multifamily property is considered a relatively “safe” investment. That’s because people always need a place to live, even during economic downturns. Even with the recent pandemic, local and federal government is deploying resources to landlords to offset any unpaid rent by tenants.
5. Tax Benefits. There are many tax advantages to owning multi-family property. As most investors use a mortgage to finance the property, they can take a deduction of the interest paid during the fiscal year. Additionally, property owners can depreciate the property over 27.5 years, even if the property itself actually appreciates in value. Depreciation can offset a significant portion of the income, which is to the advantage of the property owner